Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Control Yourself

In the midst of internship there is a relationship built between the intern and the supervisor that, in some cases, rivals most marriages with time spent together and work done in partnership. During this 11 month intense time of cooperation we begin to learn things about each other that others might not pick up on since they are not around you nearly half as much. In 5 and a half months I have come to the definitive conclusion that my supervisor is a control freak.

She writes the 'Sunday Paper' - weekly news insert for the bulletin - herself and has never consulted anyone else in doing this. There is not one committee that she does not attend the meeting for or has her hand in. She dominates almost every conversation she is a part of and will almost always have the last word. Disagreeing with her is probably her biggest pet peeve - esp when the lowly intern tries to raise her meager voice in opposition. She has trouble hearing other people's opinions about almost everything.

I guess for the most part I just deal with it and move on with my life. I have come to the conclusion that with 4 and half months to go I can't really change her so I just need to learn as much as I can before I am finished. For the most part I learn a lot from her and appreciate the conversations and insights that she has for ministry and how I can be more effective - or maybe she is telling me to be more like her... hmmm. In any case, no matter if she is a control freak or not she is pretty true to herself and I have to respect that. I just wish she would stick to only controlling herself.

No comments: