Friday, March 03, 2006

Home Visits

I love to visit people at home. It has to be one of the coolest parts of this job that I am training for. I actually get paid to hang out, have tea and swedish cake, and chat with people (mostly older people) in their homes on a regular basis. Sometimes the conversation turns to things that are theological or a listening session about the things that are wrong with the church and need to be improved. Today I had a lovely visit with a woman who probably knows every single person in the congregation as well as their grandparents, she has been around for quite a while. Sharp as a tack and not afraid to express her opinion, this woman really makes my job amazing. Today could have been a day sitting in my office staring at the wall and listening to my iPod but instead I was able to learn a little more about the history of both her family and this congregation.

To stay on the subject of love, I promise that I am not getting mushy about Tim (even though he is HERE!), I am amazed at the love that I have grown to have for this congregation. Each week I find a new reason why they are a great congregation to learn with and from. They take great pride in their public witness in the city and while it sometimes blinds them from seeing the mission renewal that is needed, they are known as being the church that helps anyone it can whenever they can. My "Internship Project" is to revisit their mission statement and reinforce their commitment to mission in the world. I am really excited to help them turn around again and see the world around them through the lens of the gospel.

Tomorrow is kind of a day off but of course I will be working all day getting ready for Sunday. This new lenten discipline will take some getting used to and hopefully in the future my posts will have a little more depth.

No comments: