Sunday, March 26, 2006

Stuck in the Middle...

Since I have been losing some weight lately I have been looking to get some new spring clothes that will compliment my shrinking figure. I have run into a weird problem in my shopping outings and its something that I did not anticipate. I go into stores like Old Navy and the Gap, places that I LOVE, and find that most of the stuff that they have are not really appropriate for a Pastoral Intern to wear. Then I look into a store like Kohls, L.L. Bean, and JC Penney to find some clothes and feel like I have just walked into my mid-30s. How am I supposed to find clothes that are age appropriate and job appropriate? Even when I do find clothes that I think will work they cost an arm and a leg so I am back to square one.

If I wear the younger looking stuff I have to deal with people thinking that I am younger than I am and I can only take being confused for a 18 year old so many times before I start to get a little frustrated. I am not ready to start wearing the older looking stuff because I am only 25 and would like to give off the impression that I have some kind of fashion sense. My closet right now is a little lop-sided with lots of grey sweatshirts from college and seminary and lots of pairs of black pants with random shirts. I have a lot of skirts but they are mostly black and boring. Someone actually mentioned how much black that I wear at church the other day - so apparently my colored sweaters that I wear over my black clerical shirt and black pants are not diverting their attention enough.

Oh well, life goes on I suppose. Eventually I will figure out what I should be wearing and be able to afford it. Until then I will just have to make things work.

1 comment:

Christine said...

yeah clothes shopping at our age is the devil no matter your figure. i swear, either you are a junior-size slut or a prematurely old lady.

no winners here. luckily i can wear jeans and tshirts in the lab so i can avoid it altogether...which is nice until some college frat boy hits on me in the union. (hello wedding ring!!!)