Thursday, March 16, 2006

Reminders of India

Today was a little more exciting than I had first anticipated. I had to go into Hartford to visit a parishoner at his place of work. Now this sounds a little odd to some people so I should explain. He works at a shelter/soup kitchen/mental health facility in East Hartford and I had been encouraged to visit him and learn about his agency. It was quite fascinating.

I had a moment to stand in the lobby as I waited for him to come down from his office and I noticed that there was a similar odor to what I found in India. It was the combination of uncleanliness of both body and clothes. I would hate to label the smell as 'poverty' but that is what it is and sometimes you just have to tell it like it is. We took a tour around the facility and I soon was able to see how much financial support is missing from this place. It provides 'transitional housing' for about 80 people and feeds them 3 meals a day. It has a soup kitchen downstairs that has two meals (breakfast and lunch) served everyday and feeds over 150 people. There is a small clinic where nurses are available for simple health issues. And on top of everything is a smaller social services office where 3 case workers all have desks and are there for help during normal business hours. On top of all of this there is another 10 bed wing that houses a mental health department for people who are being rehabilitated back into society but are dealing with chemical dysfunctions that are not connected to drugs and alcohol. The plight of this agency is hard because of the lack of funds that are available for the things that they need the most. The would love to rehabilitate the 200 year old building that they are housed in but it is an historical site and the only money they receive for maintenance will barely clean the floors. It was hard to walk around and see all of the good being done in this place and not be angry with the powers that be for not taking care of such a place more carefully. It's days like today when I feel like those who work for those who have the least are the ones who end up having the least because the support they receive is atrocious. If we are really a country built on freedom and equality for all why is it so hard to help each other get out of the gutter and back into a life that makes them feel alive instead of like the walking dead? It really blows my mind sometimes and I feel really small and unable to help at all.

Today gave me something to think about and a new way to think about my life on this earth and particularly in this country. We have been given the right to vote and I intend on using that vote and my voice to speak on bahalf of those who need it and fight for the rights of those who have been told that they have none. No one deserves to live in filth and have to feel as if they are not worthy of help no matter what their circumstances. Jesus loved all people including those who were the least favored by society - therefore it is our job to show that love to each other and know that all of God's people need to know that they are God's children, no matter what.

No comments: