Thursday, March 23, 2006

It was a good day

After a massive sinus headache that left me out of commission for most of yesterday I woke up this morning feeling fantastic. I lost another pound in the last week making my grand total... 11 pounds! I feel better than I have in a very long time and am really proud of myself for working so hard.

I had SUPERvision with my supervisor this morning and we went over my mid-year evaluation. I was pleased to see that she has a lot of confidence in my skills for the ministry. It was also nice to know that we are both on the same page as far as my progress in this internship goes. She feels that I am moving at a pace that is ahead of the timeline originally set out and that we should be sure to manage our time wisely in the next 4 months. We then had an extensive meeting about Holy Week and the various service preparations we need to make. It's gonna be a busy week but we can definitely get through with class and style. I am preaching at the ecumenical Good Friday service so I need to prepare a message about God that doesn't offend anyone - maybe I will post it when I am done.

And now for an unrelated topic: There are some hoodlums that drive around my house in their loud cars. Sometimes they like to park in the church parking lot and have little parties in our memorial garden - where people's remains have been buried/scattered. I am always torn about what I should do about these people. I have called the police a couple of times and each time the people have scattered before the police arrive - Bristol police are a little slow on the uptake and have been known to operate racist radio stations so I have little faith in their promise to help. There have been many church break-ins in Bristol and so those of us who are clergy are more vigilant than usual about our buildings and how they are secured. In the police department's defense they do go around to the churches at night and pull on the doors to make sure they are locked - we know this because there have been a few times when they were not and the alarm went off at 3am. But I hesitate to call the police all the time because I think that the trespassers can see me in my house and thats why they flee before the police get their asses here. Also, I live alone - it sucks! - and I am scared enough when I go to bed at night let alone when I have called the police on some teenagers who just wanted a place to drink and have sex. I hear their loud cars driving in and out of the parking lot all night. It's really a catch-22 because I know I should call but for my own safety and sanity I should not. This is the stuff they don't teach you in seminary, maybe I could start a class next year.

In other news, I had my first Ham and Pickle salad sandwich yesterday. If you ever encounter this combination I would advise that you walk away slowly and find anything else in the room to eat. Somehow we ended up with 3 trays of these horrible sandwiches at the Lenten soup/sandwich dinner last night. At first I thought that I might like it because it involves two of my favorite foods - until I realized that they used sweet pickles and I was done. I don't know what culture this came from but I think they should take it back. Seriously, how is that good? I bet those silly Swedes brought them over - send them back!!!

Tomorrow I am taking my supervisor to the YMCA to work out in the afternoon. I think she forgot that it is actually her day off and not mine but I decided not to fight it and take advantage of the work out time. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow - sometimes those eliptical machines can be tricky...

No comments: