Monday, March 20, 2006

I heart Mondays

I think that one of the best parts of this internship has been having Monday as a day off. It's my favorite day because I get to do whatever I want and I do not have to do any work at all. It's fantastic.

So I went to the mall today in an effort to do some retail therapy and pretend like I have a lot of money. There is only one mall in a 15 mile radius. I think there are 4 malls total in the entire state of CT - its really weird. In NJ I had 3 malls within 4 miles of my house at my disposal. I also had 3 Target stores and here in CT I only have one and it's next to the mall. So when I go to Target or the mall I need to make sure that I get everything I need before I leave because if I forget something it might be a week before I have time to drive all the way out there again.

Some of you might be wondering why I just don't go to the local Wal-Mart instead of driving so far to go to Target. Well, I should tell you that Wal-Mart is no longer alive to me. Most of the time I forget there is one around the corner until someone mention's it, then I purposely forget it exists again. Wal-Mart has to be one of the worst corporations on the planet. The poor souls that are employed there will probably work there for their entire lives and never be able to actually shop there - no matter how low their prices are. The reason their prices are so low is because they save on overhead by not paying their employees enough in the first place. I know this first hand because I was employed at the Wal-Mart in my hometown for 3 months in the summer. I am not proud of this employment but it has opened my eyes to the insufficient wages that Wal-Mart pays it's employees. While I was a student who had parents to support her and did not have to worry about paying bills I know that those around me were in a much worse situation. I won't go on but just know that I will never shop at Wal-Mart, no matter how close it is to my home and how far away Target is.

The rest of the day was pretty good. Did some laundry and watched TV. By the way, the top news story tonight in CT is about a cat rescue gone bad, they even have footage of the cat flying throught the air to it's death. I wish I was making this up - I sometimes think the news people do.

No comments: